Wednesday, September 16, 2009

25 Years of Being an Adult


Labor Day weekend I went back to St. Louis for my 25th high school reunion with much hesitation. I made a pact with my best friend, Gina, from 2nd grade that if she went I would go also.
We hemmed and hawed for quite awhile. The breaking point for me was when I could find airfare for under $200 and well, I guess I did want to go since I searched for airfare.

Gina came over to my parent's house to get ready so it felt like high school times all over again. Do I look okay, does this dress make me look fat, can you help me with my necklace, do these shoes go...

We were both very nervous about going, however, Gina was totally freaked out. There was a happy hour the night before which I went to and was able to re-introduce myself to unrecognizable classmates and Facebook helped also. Gina was afraid she wouldn't know anyone. I reassured her that there were many people at the happy hour that I had to ask who they were. I don't understand why Gina was so nervous since she was one of the most popular girls in high school and has a rocking hot body.

We entered the reunion and my stomach did flips. Immediately, I needed some hard liquor to calm the nerves especially after I saw the guy I dated after my 10 year reunion. I never forgot about him and was really hoping to see him. I wasn't sure if he would talk to me but gave me a big grin and hugged me. Thankfully, I knew the evening was not going to be awkward.

I never imagined I could have so much fun! I talked non-stop to old friends and also to those I barely knew in high school. I received tons of compliments which was a great ego boost. I often have self-esteem issues but after hearing very sincere, genuine compliments (or perhaps I'm just a big old fool and gullible) I figured I wasn't half bad.

The reunion went off without a hitch except for one girl passing out around midnight. She hadn't had too much to drink but just fainted. 911 was called and an ambulance came and carted her off. The next day she posted on her Facebook page that she just fainted, no seizure. Perhaps an alcohol allergy or low blood sugar.

We shut the reunion down at 2AM and about ten of us went to Denny's for breakfast at 3AM. I got back to my parent's at 3:45AM. I lost my voice I talked so much.

If you are ever in doubt of attending a reunion, do it! At the 25 year reunion there's no big competition of what you have achieved or how much money you make unlike the ten year mark. People have mellowed out by the time you're in your 40's.
It doesn't matter if you are fat, thin, bald, buff, flabby or out of style. No one there to judge. There's more apologies and compliments handed out than anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment